Looks like I was asleep at the wheel; according to NPM 3.1 was released late last week; and I totally missed it. However, I am more on the ball today and saw that 3.1.1 was released today to fix some of the issues with 3.1. So lets cover the changes in both 3.1 & 3.11
- Android Chrome development tools now supports the Elements tab; this allows you to see what css is assigned to elements in the UI DOM. Very nice feature!
- Android snapshots can be generated on Linux and Mac. This allows you to make a custom snapshot; snapshots will improve startup time; but they do have the downside of increasing the size of the APK a lot.
- Android now support ABI splits on first build.
- Profiling on Android, you can now enable a profiling to see what is taking time in your application. The feature is also available in @next on iOS.
- CLI has been improved to fix a lot of issues, including Node 8 / npm 5 support.
- Several fixes for the SearchBar, and TextFields now have a maxLength property!
First of all to upgrade is done is a couple steps:
> npm install -g nativescript@latest
> npm install tns-core-modules@latest --save
Next try the new update command or you can manually run the commands below
> tns update
> tns platform remove android
> tns platform add android@latest
> tns platform remove ios
> tns platform add ios@latest
Then you can type
tns info and verify that everything says 3.1.x
- Plugins fails; this is a known issue do to the complete revamp of the lower levels of the core modules design. Some plugins need a lot of changes to work in 3.x; so you will have to wait for the third party authors to get caught up (Even I'm not caught up). My plugins site http://plugins.nativescript.rocks should be listing both version v2 & v3 plugins separately so that you can easily find 3.x or 2.x plugins.
- TypeScript incompatibilities; you should be using 2.2 or later with v3.x of TNS
- A new 3.1 CSS issue with Background Color
- Android runtime can still crash randomly with
No weak reference found.long standing unfixed bug... Disabling screen transitions, seems to help resolve the issue.
- Webpack might have random issues in Android builds, you might need to to a
tns platform clean androidto fix occasionally
- Issue with upgrading applications on Android 6 & 7 see blog post on fix.